Enderal: Forgotten Stories is a total conversion for TES V: Skyrim: a game modification that is set in its own world with its own landscape, lore and story. It offers an immersive open world, all for the player to explore, overhauled skill systems and gameplay mechanics and a dark, psychological storyline with believable characters.
Enderal is free and can be played by anyone owning a legal copy of TES V: Skyrim Special Edition. It was developed non-commercially by SureAI, the team behind the renowned Oblivion mod Nehrim: At Fate’s Edge (and various other projects).
Enderal SE is a community-made conversion of Enderal to the Skyrim Special Edition (SSE) engine. SureAI does NOT provide any support for this version. Please, report your issues with Enderal SE only on our Discord. This page contains the core of the game, installable as a Skyrim SE mod, its requirements must be installed manually like with any other mod. This mod is also a base for Enderal VR, maintained by sasa2727, and for officially published standalone Special Edition on Steam.
- An open world with its own lore and hand-crafted, detailed and diverse landscapes – explore deserts, heathlands, forests, jungles, mountains, and more.
- An unconventional story with believable characters and psychological undercurrents.
- German and English voice acting by professional voice over artists.
- Multi-faceted, believable characters with own ambitions and motivations.
- Overhauled gameplay with classes, experience points, survival mechanics and challenging combat.
- An overhauled skill system with classes and new special abilities.
- A housing system allowing the player to design their own homes.
- 30 to 125 hours of expected playtime.
Added in Forgotten Stories:
- Two “crafting classes” that utilize alchemy and enchanting for combat – use potions to shapeshift into a werewolf as the Lycantrope, use enchanting to craft spirit companions as the Phasmalist.
- Improved performance and stability for a smooth experience.
- Twelve new sidequests and two non-linear guild questlines: Work your way up the Golden Sickle, Enderal’s merchants guild and infiltrate the ranks of the Rhalâta, the enigmatic cult ruling the Undercity.
- Reworked and improved crafting, spells, and much more.
You should know
- Remember to never use old Enderal mode in modding tools. Always choose Enderal SE (if available) or Skyrim SE mode.
- Do not start new game after quitting to the main menu. The engine does not reset its state correctly, restart the game first.
- Skyrim DLCs and Creation Club mods are incompatible.
- If you use Vortex or have troubles with installation, install the game with pre-installed requirements from Steam.
- Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.97
- Move Creation Club plugins to a separate mod and disable them.
- SKSE64 build 2.0.20
- SkyUI SE
- JContainers SE 4.1.13
- Flat Map Markers SSE – load before Enderal SE.
Anniversary Edition (IN TESTING):
How to install
- Create a new Skyrim SE instance in your Mod Organizer 2. Or add a profile to an existing one, if you find it more convenient.
- Download the torrent below (how?) to your mods directory in this instance. This will add Enderal SE as a mod to MO2.
- Configure the game as usual with Skyrim Launcher.
- Run Enderal SE through MO2 with skse64_loader.exe.
If you still have normal Skyrim SE starting, your Windows Defender or some other antivirus must have prevented MO2 from running properly. Whitelist MO2’s directory.
How to update
- Delete previous version from your MO2 completely.
- Install a new version.
- .NET Script Framework (SE) or Crash Logger (AE) provide detailed crash logs.
- SSE Engine Fixes fixes a lot of underlying bugs.
- SSE Display Tweaks reduces stutter and allows to play with FPS higher than 60.
- Yes Im Sure disables annoying message prompts.
- Scrambled Bugs fixes enchantment costs.
- powerofthree’s Tweaks allows to place custom map markers on discovered locations and fixes crash when lights get attached to unloaded actors.
- Fix Note icon for SkyUI brings back note icons in the inventory list.
Download localization packs from Nexus Mods.
To switch languages, Enderal SE uses SkyUI_SE.ini, automatically autoloaded by SkyUI. The base package has all string files included. Strings are not usually compatible between patches. If you are seeing errors “Lookup failed”, you got outdated versions of them. Re-verify your game files to pull updated strings. The Nexus page contains additional localized extras, such as textures, videos, fonts, and SkyUI_SE.ini, switching language as described.
Always assume a Skyrim mod is incompatible until proven otherwise.
Enderal LE mods must be converted before using. If you complain about broken paper map, you have ignored this advice.
Enderal SE has its own Nexus Mods section https://www.nexusmods.com/enderalspecialedition.
Vortex plugin – https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/218
Mod Organizer 2 supports Enderal SE as of version 2.4.1.
For the Steam version, use the Enderal Special Edition (NOT Enderal) mode.
For this version, use the Skyrim Special Edition mode and enable Enderal downloads in settings: